Rebounding

2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Eileen/MA_*

• Guests

Posted 10 September 2009 - 11:14 AM

I hadn't heard of this before this morning - I read about it being used by members of another COPD group. Rebounding is using a small trampoline which is equipped with a bar for balance and it's very low impact and oxygen efficient. From what I can see, they go for well under $100.

Posted Image

The Surprising Health and Fitness Benefits of Rebounding

The benefits of rebounding were discovered by an ex-professional wrestler named Albert Carter who published a book called The Miracle of Rebound Exercise. Carter and his family were regular users of the trampoline and though they did little else in the way of exercise, they discovered they were stronger, fitter and better balanced than other people. Carters daughter was able to beat boys at arm wrestling. Carter's own heart rate at rest was 36 beats per minute!

Carter realised that trampolining uses three powerful forces...gravity, acceleration and deceleration. Your body automatically strengthens itself to cope with the worst conditions that are presented to it.So if you constantly expose your body to 1&1/2 times the force of gravity 1 1/2G, it will strenthen itself to cope with the stress. And the neat thing is that every cell in the body is exposed to the same forces and they all strengthen accordingly.
At the top of the bounce, your body becomes completely weightless and then as you reach the bottom of the bounce, you experience the force of 1 1 /2G (1.5 times the force of gravity). This stimulates the lymphatic system into greater efficiency in the clearing of waste matter in the body and in the effectiveness of the immune system.

Rebounding as exercise has been studied by the space agency NASA and found to be 68% more oxygen efficient than other forms of exercise. What that means is that you can exercise quite vigorously on a rebounder without feeling out of breath, but still gain the same benefits you would from jogging on pavement.

This is good news for people who just can't go running because of health reasons such as arthritis.

READ MORE

#2 Darrell

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,614 posts
  • Interests:Fitness, family and community activities.

Posted 10 September 2009 - 01:36 PM

That sounds like a good idea and it offers obvious benefits in terms of strength, balance and convenience as well as their other claims which are not quite as intuitive. My grandkids have a mini tramp that I can try to see if I like what it does.
Darrell

#3 Guest_Eileen/MA_*

• Guests

Posted 12 September 2009 - 10:54 AM

I could kick myself because I got rid of both a small trampoline and a large one after my daughter left home. But I'm looking in the classifieds now to possibly get a used one cheap. I remember them being fun.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users