2 replies to this topic

#1 Dee

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,487 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 09:52 AM

SIGHING DYSPNEA
A strange term. In the eight years I've been at this I've only heard about it a handful of times. Folks say it is an old diagnosis and psychological. That well may be and those who wonder if their loved one's loud sighing is normal for COPD patients, may find the following interesting.

Deep sighing breathing has been reported in patients who are in chronic anxiety states. Healthy subjects sigh between none and 3 times per 15-min period, while chronic anxiety patients sigh 4 to 25 times per 15-min period. This is the first description of an increase in sigh rate in response to exercise.

The patient was a 33-year-old chemical engineer who was initially referred for an assessment of occupational asthma. She was receiving therapy of fluticasone and a long-acting beta-agonist daily, and had required three unplanned visits to her primary care physician in the previous year. She complained of daily symptoms of breathlessness on exertion. Breathing patterns were measured by respiratory inductance plethysmography both at rest and during exercise. These were characterized by the need to take frequent deep sighs... The patient completed five monthly sessions of physiotherapist-led breathing retraining. After assessment, this consisted of breathing control and reeducation, relaxation and stress management, and a graduated activity/exercise program. The patient’s condition improved

http://www.chestjour...full/130/6/1723
Posted Image

#2 Guest_Eileen/MA_*

• Guests

Posted 17 October 2008 - 12:06 PM

I learn something new every day here! I had never heard of sighing dyspnea... :huh:

#3 Dee

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,487 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 01:42 PM

Neither had I, Eileen, but since I have had COPD I inadvertently sigh these big sighs now and again. It's like I forgot to breathe and so when this happens I end up taking a deep breath. It is hard for me to explain, it's kind of weird. :huh:
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users