6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_MSI_*

• Guests

Posted 17 July 2006 - 08:38 AM

Reduce Respiratory Irritants In Your Bedrooms
From Stacey Lloyd,
Your Guide to Lung Diseases.

How to Reduce Respiratory Irritants In Your Bedrooms

"Air contains many particulates, such as pet dander, insect parts and feces, skins scales, mold spores, smoke, fabric fibers, bacteria, pollen, soot, and chemical fumes and fragrances, causing irritation to the respiratory tract. These irritants are especially distressful to people who suffer from asthma, allergies, and lung disease and infections. Furthermore, many people who suddenly find themselves suffering from respiratory"

For more of this story please click on the url:

http://lungdiseases.about.com/od/generalin...oomirritant.htm

Melisa :P

#2 Guest_Wheezer_*

• Guests

Posted 17 July 2006 - 08:57 AM

Wonderful article, Melisa. Thank you! It is chocked full of information - useful information that is easily applied to the household and beneficial to our lungs and life quality.

One thing that I've discovered is that putting a layer of cheesecloth over the vents is very, very helpful as well. Now, this is in addition to the HEPA filters and all the other precautions and cures we know about regarding cleaning up the indoor air. The layer of cheesecloth over the vents really does cut down on dust and improves the air quality.

Thanks for the great article. I love these!

#3 Guest_MSI_*

• Guests

Posted 17 July 2006 - 11:38 AM

Kasey please explain to me more about the cheese cloth, never heard of that before, I am interested.
Thanks,Melisa

#4 Guest_Guest_Wheezer_*_*

• Guests

Posted 17 July 2006 - 03:04 PM

Melisa, it is a loosely woven cotton fabric, like gauze, that is used to wrap cheese. You can sometimes see the pattern of the cheese cloth on a round of cheese. Or a wheel of cheese as they say here.

If I double up and fold it, it makes a good filter over my vents. Now, there is another cloth called Tack cloth that is like filter media but I do not like that it has a chemical coating on it. Painters use this, I suppose to catch paint drips or such. The tack cloth would not have to be folded and doubled up on to filter. But it would work far better than my little cheese cloths do because the tackiness traps the dust and finer particles.

There is also a media called Rymple Cloth that is very good, also thicker than the cheese cloth.

Hope this helps.

#5 Guest_MSI_*

• Guests

Posted 17 July 2006 - 04:29 PM

This is so interesting, and Kasey it just goes over and doesnt stop the flow of the a/c correct?
Thanks so much for your help. I learn something new on here everyday. :P
Melisa

#6 Guest_Wheezer_*

• Guests

Posted 17 July 2006 - 08:21 PM

Because the cheese cloth is so loosely woven, it doesn't interfere with the air flow of the a/c. Now, I've not tried the Tack or the Rymple so I can't say whether or not it reduces the air flow. I would hope not since it seems to be made of the same stuff as an air filter. There is a website called, I believe, the Rag Lady that has some info on the different medias. I haven't been there in a while but it was a helpful site for me.

The cheesecloth has to be doubled over and folded and stuff to ensure it catches the dust, etc. So you use more of the cheesecloth than the other media.

#7 Guest_MSI_*

• Guests

Posted 17 July 2006 - 08:31 PM

Thanks again Kasey! You Rock....
Melisa

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users