Coughing til lightheaded

15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Eileen/MA_*

• Guests

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:00 PM

Does anyone ever cough so hard that you get lightheaded and woozy? I have been doing it a lot lately. A cough will come out of nowhere and next thing I know I am practically swooning - almost ready to pass out. So far, I've been able to catch a deep breath or two and recover, but it's an absolutely scary feeling!

#2 Tim

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,813 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:22 PM

I havn't thought about this in quite awhile now Eileen.
I have done the same thing from time to time every since my
early 20's. I would cough so hard for so long and would start feeling
lightheaded and woozy like you said. It has gotten so bad at times,
I would start filling a tingling sensation an a buzz in my ears and then
pass out. Only for a couple of seconds, almost like a seizure. It use to scare
me pritty bad. The Dr's ran their test and really didn't ever come up with
anything except that maybe it was because of a lack of o2 to the brain.
I don't know what it was, I'm just glad it doesn't happen anymore.

Be careful Eileen and take care of yourself.

Tim

#3 Guest_Tippy_*

• Guests

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:27 PM

Yes, Eileen I do the same......had one a couple hours ago! I seem to run in cycles with several episodes a day then free for a couple days before beginning again. I have trouble describing these attacks to my doctors and wouldn't you know.........I've never had an attack while in their office! I’ve been told it is not life threatening and if I did pass out my body would relax and I would be back immediately. Sometimes I think I am worse when I do not drink my normal amount of water. I’m sorry you are having problems.

#4 Guest_Eileen/MA_*

• Guests

Posted 18 May 2007 - 07:29 AM

Thanks Tim and Tippy. This happens sometimes once a day or not for a week but it is always from coughing. Most times I can reach for the O2 and crank it up and sometimes I can get a deep breath in and it's better.

I'm glad I'm not alone in this, and I will be careful. You're right, Tippy, it's hard to describe to a doctor, and I haven't mentioned it to mine. More testing is the last thing I want right now.

Tim, it probably is lack of oxygen, like you said. I've always had a cough, even after I quit smoking, so that makes sense to me.

Thanks for your responses, you're the best! :blink:

#5 Trudy

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 12:22 PM

So sorry, Eileen! I have that usually when I'm especially congested, tight, or sick, or when I exert myself too much or too long. I just figure it's part of the disease. It certainly is a scary feeling! wish I could come and hold your hand...

Love,
Trudy

#6 Dee

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,487 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 12:45 PM

I can't offer any advice Eileen, but I am sorry you are going through this.
Take care of yourself and call your doctor if it would help you feel less worried.

Dee
Posted Image

#7 Guest_Eileen/MA_*

• Guests

Posted 18 May 2007 - 01:40 PM

Thanks Trudy and Dee! I guess the next time I see my doctor I'll mention it to him but I doubt that there's anything they can do. I don't want to take a cough suppressant because I'm able to clear my lungs so easily, I'd hate to jeopardize that.

Thanks again to everyone - you truly are the best! I'm so grateful for all of you!

#8 Guest_joni_*

• Guests

Posted 18 May 2007 - 05:14 PM

So glad I see someone else with this very same problem! Actually, I got on to type a post about this.

I just recently joined the forum. Modearate COPD, severe asthma, sleep apnea, former smoker, etc. etc., etc....on continuous oxygen, feeling lost sometimes and trying to understand this illness.

These "spells" feel like coughing spasms to me. They hit for no apparent reason. I can be sitting quietly...when KABOOM! and yes, they are very scary. Usually, I feel like there is something stuck in the back of my throat and imagine it would be akin to choking on a fishbone. Although I know I need it, I pull out my canuela for the oxygen as it seems I can't catch my breath no matter what I do. Warm water sips sometimes helps. And I wonder, during those times if I should increase my oxygen intake (am now at 2 Liters), but am afraid to do so.

I have had them while being on oxygen and previous to being placed on oxygen. I have had them in front of my doctor and nurses while in the hospital. They may not be life threatening, but they sure feel that way!

It is good to be here. Sometimes I feel so all alone. I have found so many people cannot cope with another with this type of illness. And, sometimes I wonder how long I have. I am now slowly (very slowly) recovering from an excerabation. but find my breathing more difficult that before the episode. Now I wonder, if this is how I am going to be now, or is this just my body still healing. I hope it is temporary for now I find I get short of breath even with the oxygen.

Well, this is longer that I thought it would be...!

I hope Eileen you are feeling better!

Joni

#9 Guest_Eileen/MA_*

• Guests

Posted 18 May 2007 - 06:05 PM

Thanks Joni, I feel fine, even after I've had this happen. I know what you mean about the cough coming out of nowhere. Sometimes I think our lungs, or some part of the airway, gets irritated for some reason, causing the cough. I turn my oxygen up when that happens. You should check with your doctor to see if that's okay for you to do, too. Usually it's just for a very brief period of time.

I have to be very careful eating and drinking, too. It's hard to breathe and swallow at the same time, and it's probably not supposed to happen that way, but with COPD it can happen very easily. I coughed for one solid hour about a year ago after inhaling a very tiny piece of raw carrot that I was eating. I was so short of breath, and perspiring so badly, that I thought I would surely die from it. I was exhausted after that. Thank goodness that doesn't happen often, but I get shorter coughing fits on rice, powdery stuff on food (even grated cheese), and other things when I'm not careful.

Exacerbations leave us very weak for a long time, so don't expect too much right away. I've had severe emphysema for 8 years and I'm always disappointed if I don't bounce right back. You'd think I'd know that by now...Have you been to pulmonary rehab? If not, that would be a wonderful step in regaining your strength, and helping your muscles be stronger so that they require less oxygen, saving it for the lungs and vital organs.

Joni, no one knows how long we have, but having copd is not a death sentence and with proper care, you will live a good long life. Thanks for joining us, and you won't be alone here! It's hard to express to people, even our own families, how difficult life is with a breathing disorder. There's nothing like friends in the same boat to understand what you're going through! :blink:

#10 Trudy

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 07:35 PM

Just had to write something a minute. I'm glad you're back, Joni. You are not alone when you're with us. :-) Friends here understand us like no one else does. I hope you gain strength back. As Eileen says, it takes a long time to bounce back. It can be soooo frustrating and discouraging. It takes no time at all to go downhill but soooo long to get back up again. We're here to cry with you whenever you need to.

Thanks, Eileen for your advice to Joni. I did not realize that inhaling food also had to do with COPD. It seems I do that more often lately. I have to be so careful, it seems. And it's frightening and so draining.

Joni, Eileen, and fellow breathers, you're in my prayers!

Love,
Trudy

#11 Guest_Michael gx_*

• Guests

Posted 19 May 2007 - 03:48 PM

Hello Ladies,

Just a fast note regarding eating , drinking and food going done the wrongs pipes. (coughing your brains out)

When chewing or drinking Prior to swallowing, tip your head foreward so that you chin is closer to your chest. This will prevent the food and drink from going towards your lungs. And as we all know food and liquids in the lungs can make for some nice infections.

Not to mention, you'll be able to enjoy your dinner without coughing through it. :unsure:

#12 Guest_Eileen/MA_*

• Guests

Posted 19 May 2007 - 05:00 PM

Thanks, Michael, I hadn't heard that before. I'll give it a try! I've always worried about eating in front of others for that reason.

Welcome to the forum, Michael, and I hope we'll hear more from you! :unsure:

#13 Guest_Tippy_*

• Guests

Posted 19 May 2007 - 05:30 PM

Michael is true to his words folks. He instructed me with this tip several months back and it works like a charm. Thanks again Michael..............Tippy

#14 Dee

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,487 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 08:29 AM

Thanks for the advice Michael, I seem to get things swallowed wrong often even though I try to be careful. I will give this a try.
Posted Image

#15 Tim

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,813 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 09:04 AM

Hi Michael, Welcome to the board. Glad you found your way here and I look forward
to hearing more from you. Stick around, we can always use good advise...

Tim

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users