COPD headaches

8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Neville Mc Manus_*

• Guests

Posted 11 December 2004 - 12:39 AM

:I have experienced migrain type headaches each time I have a heavy coughing bout .My Dr. says it is due to pressure but I am thinking it might be the medicatioon I am taking for my COPD namely-Flixotide Aquhaler and Oxis + the subutamol.Is there any one out there who can help me with the head aches ...Are these normal. My Fev1 is 58% and this I understand is not to severe at this stage.

#2 Guest_Cecile_*

• Guests

Posted 11 December 2004 - 02:11 AM

Hi,
I am Cecile. I know if I cough lots it does cause head aches. I don't blame you for questioning your medications though. I would keep trying until I found someone who shares the same medications.
I was hoping I could get you to direct me to a site where I can find information on COPD. I have had a upper right section of my right lung removed due to scarring. I am a smoker who has joined several non smoking sites and am trying to quit. I need someone who can share with me about COPD. Can you possibly help me? My email is brightstar@piasanet.com. I will anxiously be waiting for your reply.
Cecile

#3 Guest_jmartin_*

• Guests

Posted 11 December 2004 - 08:36 PM

Hi Cecile,

Yes, coughing hard can cause a lot of pressure and cause headaches and just wear you out! If you could lessen the coughing, that would help, of course. Coughing is caused by the airways in your lungs being either hypersensitive or needing to clear phlegm. If you can calm those problems down, hopefully the coughing will be better.
Sometimes people with pulmonary fibrosis cough really hard quite often and, unfortunately in some cases, there is not too much that can be done about it.
You are looking for information on COPD. There are several links on my "related links" page that can help. COPD International and the Breathing Space are two of them. You might also check with EFFORTS, a group of people with Emphysema / COPD.
Thank you for posting and I hope you check back again with us soon!
Take Care,
Jane Martin :P

#4 Guest_Cecile_*

• Guests

Posted 11 December 2004 - 09:58 PM

HI,
Thanks for all your help! I was beginning to think that all the people with COPD had already reached God's Golden Gates.
I will be sure to check back and hope to encourage others who might need some information. I am a smoker who is trying hard to quit without much luck. I think the knowledge I have learned will help others. I am anxious to share. Sharing, to me, is learning.
Thanks again.
Cecile

#5 Guest_jmartin_*

• Guests

Posted 11 December 2004 - 10:22 PM

Oh boy, Cecile, you have that right! Sharing is, indeed, learning -- and that is what it's all about. Don't quit quitting and someday soon you will do it!
And don't think that all the COPD'ers have gone. There are millions of you. COPD is very common and sometimes people don't even know they have it. Doctors can be slow to diagnose it, and patients can sometimes try to deny it.
Awareness is very important and by sharing and caring, you are really helping!
Thanks!
Jane. :P

#6 Guest_Cecile_*

• Guests

Posted 12 December 2004 - 02:34 PM

Hi,
I am so glad to meet someone who shares the same problem. I am so worried about quitting smoking. I know I must. It is the hardest thing I have to do. I have to set my mind to do it. I get to 36 hours and can't keep the quit. I am hoping I will soon.
I hope you are feeling better than I am. I am on medicines and oxygen 24/7 and am wondering when I will get it through my head that I have to quit. I hope you are not smoking. Do You Smoke? Did you ever Smoke? Do you have any suggestions to help me quit? I think I have heard them all but I still am having problems. I have join several support groups and hear the same things over and over. I have and am studying the harms of smoking and the diseases I have gotten because I smoke. Nothing seems to help me.
I have joined another group in hopes of it helping me so I can share. I love to help people and sure appreciate them helping me.
God Bless and Breath easy my friend.
Cecile

#7 Guest_John F._*

• Guests

Posted 12 December 2004 - 04:58 PM

Greetings...just for a mimute how about forgetting about all the good health reasons for stopping smoking and look at the cost. While a pack of smokes hit the dollar mark it just became too costly of a habit for me to continue on with so I stopped. Now that was a long time ago, and now the financial cost today is a lot higher and the health risk is greater. You need to ask yourself if you can really afford this vice that will eventually take your ability to breathe away. The only one who can make a positive difference by stopping is YOU!!! The positive benefits are many, but only you can make the goodness happen that will come when you stop -- and in addition to breathing better you'll also discover that you're once again able to smell the roses. Take care and enjoy often...John

#8 Guest_Cecile_*

• Guests

Posted 13 December 2004 - 03:43 PM

Hi John,
I enjoy the thought of saving the money, believe me. I am a grandmother of 7 and never have money to buy Christmas. My family has agreed that it is a good lesson for their kids. The other grandmother is loaded with cash and presents so I am the one who shows the old ways of Christmas.
Any way, I have just now got to the point of paying $10.50 a Carton for smokes or $.99 a pack. So Yes it is time to stop. I have heard so many times to be upbeat about my quit. I am eager to share my news. I really don't know where to start. I guess first I should tell you that I to beat myself up most of the time about everything so you can imagine how I had been tearing myself apart with my quit. I am upbeat about this try. I have one day, 13 hours, 4 minutes and 59 seconds. 46 cigarettes not smoked, saving $2.32. Life saved: 3 hours, 50 minutes to my credit. I am over the hump of my last quit! I am so excited.
I can use help with how to handle excitement. Any time, whether sad, happy, worried, or just any emotion I reach for that smoke. I know get them out of the house. I can't do that. I rush to the store. My mother was the same way. If they were around I and she had less problems leaving them alone. So what can I do to sidetrack myself? Just so you know, my Mother quit cold turkey. I have Welbutrine and another helper. I can't think of the name of the medicine right now. My point, I can't keep my hands off the smokes when emotional. I am not a emotional person. But it is the problem I am faced with. I have sewing and all kinds of hand stuff but that few minutes to pick them up gets me in such a tither I reach for the smokes first. I have dilberately put sewing down to reach for a smoke. How do I stop myself?
I am so worried about the COPD. I know my smoking is the major cause. I need more information about it. I know very little. The basic, I guess you could say. How do I live with it? I can't do many exercises because I have a hernia that won't allow it. I can't walk with a oxygen tank in this cold. I breath through my mouth and Dr says "If you can't keep that mouth shut, then don't walk out in the cold". I have my exercise bike and have a routine built to use it. Can you give me more ideas of how to live with COPD? I am not a "going out type" person. I live alone with my 15 yr. old blind Pekingese. I hate television most of the time. If you can give me some ideas I will be eternally greatful.
Well, I made a novel here. Sorry, I hope I haven't bored you to tears.
Cecile

#9 Guest_John F._*

• Guests

Posted 13 December 2004 - 05:21 PM

Cecile, on Dec 13 2004, 08:43 PM, said:

I need more information about it. I know very little. The basic, I guess you could say. How do I live with it? I can't do many exercises because I have a hernia that won't allow it. I can't walk with a oxygen tank in this cold. I breath through my mouth and Dr says "If you can't keep that mouth shut, then don't walk out in the cold". I have my exercise bike and have a routine built to use it. Can you give me more ideas of how to live with COPD?
Cecile
Hello Cecile...congratulations, you're on the way because you're working on quitting!!! Also, you're doing the right thing by seeking to find out what you don't know about and how to live with it.

That's what Jane Martin's book is all about. Sure it's a major bummer having COPD -- but it's not doom and gloom unless you doom yourself with the gloomieness of negativity. One of the many great things about Jane's book is the personal and positive stories about folks with COPD and their individual successful ways for living in wellness with COPD. Her book is full of good ideas and suggestions for how you can live with a nurturing feeling of wellness even with COPD.

My grandmother always said, "If you can't say something nice about someone then keep your mouth shut!!!" Indeed 'tis also a good idea to keep your mouth shut when you're out in the cold even if you don't have COPD.

Take care and enjoy often...John

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users