COPD Website

8 replies to this topic

#1 lorip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Interests:I have a 23 yr old son, Brian who has a full time job and bartends on weekends. I have a Bassett Hound, Tassie and two cats Abby and Oscar. I also have a fresh water fish aquarium. I enjoy reading, playing the piano, gardening flowers and vegetables and decorating my house. I also like all types of music and i love to dance. I am a member of my church council, I have a full time job and I am an AVON LADY!!! I collect "ANGELS" and Music Boxes. I have met a wonderful man, Chuck. And have started sharing his love for motorcycles.
    Since my dad passed away of COPD/Emphysema on 26 Dec. 2003, I have become very involved with the American Lung Association, Breathing Better, Living Well, Emphysema Foundation for Our Right to Survive,COPD International, Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease(GOLD), The Pulmonary Paper, Emphysema/COPD The Journal of Patient Centered Care and St. Luke's Hospital, Maumee, Ohio - Better Breather's Club. I am also in the process of building my own web site for Lung Disease and Smoke Free Information.
    I have taken the Freedom From Smoking Training and have assisted in Smoking Cessation Classes. With the death of my dad, I have been inspired to help families and their loved ones suffering from Lung Disease to research and learn whatever they can about these debilitating diseases. I have also designed and am selling a "Lung Disease Awareness - Breathing Is Life" Magnet. The Pinwheel symbolizes that "Breathing Is Life".
    "When You Cant Breath, Nothing Else Matters!"

Posted 15 November 2006 - 01:05 PM

Hi everyone,
How are you all doing today?
I had to take a step back last night when I saw and advertisement for COPD.... I couldnt believe it!!! I thought FINALLY, they are advertising COPD websites on TV.

The site is: http://www.copdguide9.com

there was also a phone number 1-800-310-4864

The site looks very interesting, alot of information and you can order helpful guides about COPD on the site.

I hope you all will check it out and in some way, be an inspiration to all.

God bless,
Lori
[url="http://www.loveyourlungsbreatheforlife.com"]My Webpage[/url] My BLOG [url="http://sandyellen.blogspot.com"]http://sandyellen.blogspot.com[/url][QUOTE]"The melody that the loved one played upon the piano of your life will never be played quite that way again, but we must not close the keyboard and allow the instrument to gather dust. We must seek out other artists of the spirit, new friends who gradually will help us to find the road to life again, who will walk that road with us".
[QUOTE] "WHEN YOU CANT BREATHE, NOTHING ELSE MATTERS".
[QUOTE] For the "BREATH OF LIFE - SAVE YOUR LUNGS, SO THE MUSIC CAN ALWAYS BE PLAYED"

#2 Guest_eglinton_*

• Guests

Posted 15 November 2006 - 01:38 PM

Lori,
Good to see you back on the site. Hope your own projest is going strong.

Lori,
Good to see you back on the site. Hope your own project is going strong.

#3 Tim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,813 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 01:56 PM

Hi Lori, Thanks for posting this. I have seen the advertisement for
COPD GUIDE.Com before but it has been awhile. They have updated
the site. It used to just be a site to request material and wasn't half as
nice as it is now. Everyone should take a look at this. It is very good.

#4 Guest_Eileen/MA_*

• Guests

Posted 15 November 2006 - 02:38 PM

Hi Lori! Good to see you!! I, too, have seen the ad on TV. It's so good to know that the word is getting out and maybe more people will put 2 and 2 together sooner for themselves! The site is terrific!

#5 Guest_Karen-CT_*

• Guests

Posted 15 November 2006 - 07:04 PM

Thanks, Lori,
another great link! :)

#6 Guest_irene_*

• Guests

Posted 01 January 2007 - 07:04 PM

View PostKaren-CT, on Nov 15 2006, 07:04 PM, said:

Thanks, Lori,
another great link! :rolleyes:

My name is Irene and my husband has copd, chf, 30% of his heart, and numbers of other thing, and he is suppose to use 02 24hrs a day but dont. and we had notice a chance in him. he is more hateful, and cant stand to be around our grandson like he use to, he cant remember like he did. he is running me crazy.i dont know what to do anymore.can someone give me some advise.please.

#7 Guest_Eileen/MA_*

• Guests

Posted 01 January 2007 - 08:09 PM

View Postirene, on Jan 1 2007, 07:04 PM, said:

My name is Irene and my husband has copd, chf, 30% of his heart, and numbers of other thing, and he is suppose to use 02 24hrs a day but dont. and we had notice a chance in him. he is more hateful, and cant stand to be around our grandson like he use to, he cant remember like he did. he is running me crazy.i dont know what to do anymore.can someone give me some advise.please.

Hello Irene, and welcome! I am so happy that you found us! I am also so very sorry that you are going through this with your husband and your family. I hope that you can find some comfort and information here.

If your husband is supposed to be on oxygen, and he doesn't use it, that's probably what the problem is with the personality change and irritability. Lack of oxygen to the brain and vital organs will do that. He's probably not feeling well, either. That too, can be aggravated by a lack of adequate oxygen.

If I hear you correctly, non compliance with his therapy is tough. Oxygen is a therapy; it's considered one of the most important ones for treating lung diseases and some heart diseases. His heart wouldn't be so overworked if he stayed on the oxygen. Does he have a history of noncompliance, Irene? Does he take his meds appropriately and any other treatments, like nebulizers? If this is new behavior, it might be the lack of oxygen or maybe depression.

I know I go through depressions about being considered ill (I have an FEV1 of 34%) but I take anti-depressants and I know the oxygen helps me alot. When I started on oxygen, I too, was not happy about it, but now after about a year, I see the advantages. I can do more and I physically feel better by being able to move more.

Everyone here at BBLW is very caring and this site alone has a wealth of information on it. Your biggest ally will probably be information. I just want to say now that I can tell you are a compassionate care giver and I would feel so lucky to have someone like you who would seek out help to cope with this horrible disease. Thank-you so much for sharing! Please continue to come back and I'm sure more people here will be around to help you out! :rolleyes:

#8 Guest_Wheezer_*

• Guests

Posted 01 January 2007 - 09:38 PM

Hi Irene and welcome. I sure can't say it any better than Eileen has and I agree about the irritabilty that comes with not using the oxygen. What is his objection to using his 02?

Welcome, Irene, and please feel free to post here. I'm so glad you've joined us.

Blessings,
Kasey

#9 Tim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,813 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 12:13 PM

Hello Irene, Welcome...

I'm glad that you have found this site and thank you for
sharing. I can fully understand your frustration and fear.
I'm one of those people that didn't like to comply with
my Doctors orders. I don't know if it was because I
thought I would get better but I soon found out that
denial was no way to live.

I am 48 years old and have been using 02 24/7 for
3 years this month. I hated to ware 02 and felt it wasn't
necessary. I too was grumpy and had no patients with
my Dear Wife, children and especially my Grand daughter.
I was always tired and could hardly force myself to get out
of bed. I have a FEV 1 of 20% and had been told by my
Doctor that there was nothing he could do.

I woke up one day and decided that I didn't want to live like this.
I got a referal to a Pulmonologist who corrected my medications,
insisted that I use the o2 and set me up in a Pulmonary Rehabilitation
Program. It didn't take long all of this to start showing. I have more
energy, I feel better, I can breathe better and I'm a much nicer person
to be around.

I hope that your husband can find some way to improve his circumstances.
Having COPD may slow us down but it in no way means it is the end.

Please keep coming back. We have a world of information on this site.
If you have questions, we will do our best to get you an answer.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users