First Day of Spring

48 replies to this topic

#1 peg

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with 7 yr old GRANDSON and 6 older step-grandchildren [between 18 and 25], reading, sewing, sudoku, playing card games with husband and friends, entertaining friends, learning to do more on the computer, learning to work with digital pictures on the computer. Always finding some new project to get interested in and overload myself with.

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:04 AM

We made it..the first day of spring! Here in Michigan we are having mid-summer record breaking weather.
It is so nice to enjoy and we certainly hope it continues throughout the season! At this rate we will be
living in air conditioning before Easter, though!

Seems that everything is easier and more promising to do when the sun is shining, and hearing and seeing
the birds again, not to mention the flowers popping up already is rejuvinating. Our Tulip Time may end up
being a stem fest, but the festivities will go on anyway and be just as much fun.

Home exercise seems easier, too. People are out biking and walking and cleaning up their yards. It is a
rejuvinating time for all of us.

My exercise seems easier to do right now, too. Medical conditions seem to be under control right now and I am
working hard to get as dedicated to exercise as Ken, Tim, Darrell and Claire. How do you fit in there? Dee is
catching up on the daily exercise regime as well. Did I miss anyone posting about their exercise routines?

Let's keep our bodies in motion!

Peg

#2 Ken-FL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts
  • Interests:Love travel,reading and my 9 grandchildren. Spouse is 8 year Breast Cancer survivor.
    My wife and I enjoy touring on our new Spyder 3 wheeled motorcycle. In my spare time I read and cross stitch am a bird and wildlife watcher and enjoy nature photography.

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:43 AM

I've had two tough days in a row in the gym, barely getting through my routine and my sats falling to 90/91 in the middle of the bike and treadmill which is lower than normal for me. Left the gym this morning and realized I had failed to turn my oxygen up to 3 L which is what I always use when I exercise...... I think i'm an idiot! I suspect the proper setting tomorrow will make everything a bit easier.

Have a great day with good breathing!

Ken
There are really only two requirements when it comes to exercise.
One is that you do it. The other is that you continue to do it.

#3 peg

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with 7 yr old GRANDSON and 6 older step-grandchildren [between 18 and 25], reading, sewing, sudoku, playing card games with husband and friends, entertaining friends, learning to do more on the computer, learning to work with digital pictures on the computer. Always finding some new project to get interested in and overload myself with.

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:21 AM

Ha ha, Ken. I have done that to myself, too. Gotten a bit concerned, felt bad and then noticed the oxygen setting! Could have kicked myself!

Shows we are all a bit scatterbrained at times! (I think it is called being human!) Thanks for letting me know you do those things, too! :rolleyes:

Tomorrow will be a better day!

Smiles,
Peg

#4 claire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:27 AM

Hi Everyone:

Peg, you are so right about the weather making it easier to do things.....my neighborhood is alive with people walking, biking or working in their yards. Two months ago it was not unusual to not see anyone outside - it's like everyone woke up and said "I am going out today". Love all the activity and a chance to interact with neighbors. Sounds like you are doing well!

Ken, don't you just hate it when you forget something that is second nature to you? It happens to me more often than I would like to admit. Good to hear that you now have on handle on the rough workouts and that things will be back to normal for you.

Hi also to Darrell and Tim.

I started my own yard work a few days ago and yesterday spent an hour raking up sticks and old leaves etc that we missed in the fall. The temp was 72 and really pleasant. At this rate, I will be able to start turning some dirt soon. I can never remember such a mild winter or early spring here....my Dad is 81 and he says the same. We are spoiled beyond all reason and will have a very rude awakening next winter, I think.

I see the Doctor for my foot tomorrow and hope he has some strategies lined up for me to try. I really miss the walking and have tried to keep up the exercise with the elliptical and doing squats and weights but my poor pup would really like to get on her leash and have a good walk in the park......we have been playing catch with a tiny tennis ball and that keeps her active but I think she misses the other dogs and walkers.

Have a wonderful day and get outside, if possible.

Claire

#5 Tim

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,813 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:47 AM

I feel like I've been running on empty the last couple of days. I don't have any symptoms of an infection but
feel so tired and run down. I've been completely off the pred for 5 days now and I can sure feel it. I go to the
Pulmo on Friday for a follow-up and to have my adrenal glands checked to make sure their functioning
properly and then I guess he'll make a decision about putting me back on pred or just waiting until I get
sick again. What ever his decision, it will have to be coordinated with my other Dr's so they know what
to expect and how to treat my other problems. I keep hoping that the weight loss and diet will make a
difference but so far, no change. I'm still loosing 1-2 pounds a week(28 pounds so far) so maybe I just
need to loose more. I see the Nurse practitioner who works with my Civilian PCP tomorrow for
Nutritional Counseling tomorrow, maybe she'll have some new ideals.

I was suppose to go to PR this morning but decided not to go. Due to scheduling problems at Dew's work,
I would have had to get up at 4:30am and take her to work. I'm sorry but getting up at 4:30 in the morning,
just to go to the hospital for an hour of exercise just didn't appeal to me at all. Dews Schedule is better the rest
of the week so I'll be able to make it Thursday.

It's a beautiful day out there. I have all the windows open and the breeze feels so good. I'm going to try to
talk Dew into a walk in the Park after she gets off but I have a strong feeling that she will be tired and
not into a lot of extra walking. If so, I guess I'll have to get on the T/M for a little while.

I hope you all have a good day,

Tim

#6 Darrell

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,590 posts
  • Interests:Fitness, family and community activities.

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:03 AM

Tim 28 lbs is great. Now it would be convenient if everything else would fall into place that well.

I've had a couple of rough days, allergies and just run down like Tim is saying. The doc had told me that if I got like this I should make adjustments to my prednisone so I have taken it back up to 10mg. Here's hoping it will calm my allergies and give me back a little energy. Tomorrow I'm signed up to work the Lions Club fruit sale and Friday, if I am up to it, I'd like to go to my Aunt's funeral. I'll just have to wait and see how the breathing holds up.

Have a good day.

Darrell

#7 Ken-FL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts
  • Interests:Love travel,reading and my 9 grandchildren. Spouse is 8 year Breast Cancer survivor.
    My wife and I enjoy touring on our new Spyder 3 wheeled motorcycle. In my spare time I read and cross stitch am a bird and wildlife watcher and enjoy nature photography.

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:30 AM

Tim,
You have been doing so well in so many ways and the weight loss is terrific, here is hoping you can get some help for the general run down lack of energy blues! Having the windows open and the air circulating has to be great unless of course you are Darrell and are fighting the allergies. I suspect you will bounce back quickly Darrell and I know that the Fruit Sale is important to you so I suspect you will be there with bells on.

My exercise this morning went better with the proper O2 setting after the last two days when I did not turn it up as is normal. Not sure where my head was those days.

Pretty much like summer here already....very nice but I'm not ready for the full heat and humidity that will likely follow soon.

Good breathing to all!

Ken

#8 peg

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:57 AM

Tim, your weight loss is awesome. Kudos to you for sticking with it. You should be feeling better simply without those unwanted extra pounds.

The allergy season is upon us all, regardless of how it affects us. Mine is bothersome, and I hate it. Never had it until about 2 years ago, so it came hand in hand
with my COPD worsening. There are ways to deal with it, though, and unfortunately one of them is living in air conditioning. I love the breeze blowing through the windows and clearing out the staleness from winter, but with the heat we are having we will be kicking in the AC pretty soon.

Darrell I hope your slugggishness clears by returning to a higher dose of pred. Unfortunately it seems to be a very important "friend" for many of us, but brings it's downside with the good. I am on 5 mg a day now - for about a month. For now I think I am stuck with it. I don't have the sleepless side affect you seem to have, but the hot flashes and perspiration are miserable, especially when it is in the high 80's then the "pred sweats" hit too. I don't have them when I am not taking it, so it is safe to say that is my side affect.

We have another beautiful day here in Michigan and apparently are breaking several records for temperatures. It feels like June or July. The only downer is that our Tulip Time will probably be a stem fest this year. Our visitors will just have to enjoy all the other activities and parades without Tulips. I have seen Tulip Time snowy, hot, rainy, but so far never without tulips. Guess there is a first for everything.

Have a great day, everyone...and get out there and exercise!

Peg

#9 Tim

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,813 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:38 PM

Maybe some of the Tulips will hang in there until after the Feast Peg. You never know.

Glad to hear your feeling better with the boost in Pred Darrell, Oh how I wish I could take
10mg's today. I feel like I got run over by a train. I'm trying to keep on a happy face until
I see the Pulmo on Friday. I have no ideal how that appointment will turn out.
Ken, it's amazing how forgetting to turn the o2 up can have such and impact on you.
You would think it would never happen again, but from experience, I can tell you that it happens.
It's never vary hard to figure out what the problem is though. Glad you figured it out and
are having better work out days now.

I just got home from seeing my PCP's Nurse Practitioner. They use them like PA's here
and it's much easier to see one of them then it is to get an appointment with the Dr.
She asked today If I had met my new PCP yet and I told her I knew him through my
old job but had never seen him as a patient. She said the next appointment in 60 days
will be with him so he can make the decision about putting me on meds or not.
The appointment lasted an hour. That really surprised me as your usually only allowed
15 min's and then their rushing you out the door. It could have been longer as far
as I'm concerned. I walked out of there more confused then when I entered.
She gave me a big package to read through so maybe I'll be able to figure out some
of it.

It's a really nice day but I don't think I'll be getting out much today. I have to pick Dew
up from work and stop by the store for a couple of things then I'm coming home. The
most exercise I'll probably get tonight is lighting the grill and walking back and forth
to check the meat.

Today, I'm a little confused, wore down and feeling like like I should be listening to some Blues...

I hope all of you are having a better day,

Take care,

Tim

#10 peg

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:34 PM

Tim, sorry you are having such a poopy day. We have to have our share of those, I guess. Put a smile on your face and hope it sinks in!
At least when you and Dew go to the store, someone will smile back at you just because you are giving them one of yours! Works every time!
Seriously, I know what you mean. We get a couple of great days and then out of nowhere...wham!
Try to find a good book to take your mind off everything real and kick back and enjoy the day. Tomorrow is another day.

#11 claire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:32 AM

Tim, hope you woke up today with a bit more energy and are feeling better......same goes for you, Darrell. And congrats, Tim, on your weight loss......what an achievement!

Peg, don't fret about the tulips....people will have a great time during festival no matter what! I agree, though, about the weather. It is really one for the books this year.

I saw the doc yesterday and now have the results from the MRI. It seems like the initial injury (the discomfort started last April and I don't remember injuring it) has destroyed the cartiledge by toes two and three where they are connected to the upper foot as well as making those bones and a bone further along the upper foot swell. I was not aware that bones could swell! Anyways, he said that bones swell just before they break and so I have an additional three "possible" breaks in the future in that foot and that is what is causing the pain. The treatment is an air cast for 2 months to completely rest the foot and he put one on my foot yesterday. The prognosis is good for complete healing, he said, with the caution that I will likely always have "some discomfort" at the site of the cartiledge loss (much like arthritis pain, he said). The cast is configured so that the heel hits the floor first and takes the brunt of the stress from walking. The downside of the cast is that it raises that side of the body so that you are slightly higher than the other side, thus placing stress on your back and hips etc. Another bummer is that I am no longer allowed to do squats or lift any weights while standing as they place too much pressure on the foot. He did say that I could continue to use the elliptical as it is a rotation motion that does not significantly increase pressure on the foot and that I could continue weights for the upper body while seated. I guess I am glad to finally know what is going on and to have an opportunity to heal it but the poor dog has another two months to look forward to without our usual daytime walks. The whole thing has been a real learning curve for me as I was not aware of "swelling bones" before breakage or that there was much cartiledge down there by the toes and upper foot. As much as I will miss my walking and hate the idea of dragging around something on that foot for another two months, I am really grateful that this is in the foot and not in one of my arms! I would be lost if one of my arms were out of commission for two months as I would not be able to garden, knit, sew etc. so I guess there is something to be grateful for in all of this.

So, the new plan for staying active is to use the elliptical daily (maybe this will overcome my dislike of exercising in the house with machines), lift my weights while sitting, trying to do some floor exercises to keep my legs strong and just moving as much as I can in the upright position. I am also keeping my fingers crossed that a weight gain is not in my future.....

Have a good day all and enjoy this great spring weather.

Claire

#12 peg

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:05 AM

Claire, although the answers were not what you had hoped for, it sounds like at the very least you know what is wrong! That in itself is a relief, and you sound like you can deal with it! That is good news. You don't have to be sedentary while it heals, just different exercises....I think you will work through it and come out ahead of it! Your dog will adjust. Maybe chasing a frisbee or something like that will have to do the exercise thing for the pooch! :unsure:

Thanks for sharing.

Have a great day.

Peg

#13 Ken-FL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:40 PM

Claire,
I am very sorry to hear of the nature of the foot problem and the somewhat discouraging prognosis but as they say when given lemons make lemonade. You tend to be a positive person and you have been very active in spite of these setbacks previously so I suspect you will find an acceptable work around for this too. Keep as positive an outlook as you can and maybe we all will be surprised with a better result than currently expected. Let us all know how best to support you and motivate you during this time.

Tim, am concerned about you slipping back into a funk but I sure understand why. My nurse practitioner always spends a lot of time with me, much more than the Dr's usually, she also is quick to prescribe something if I am not feeling well. 60 days seems like a long time to wait the way you are feeling! I and I'm sure everyone else is sending good wishes your way for better days ahead.

Both of you, Keep your chin up!

Ken

#14 claire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:35 PM

Ken, thanks much for your words of wisdom and encouragement. I very much appreciate it and plan to heed everything said. I like to think that I have a positive outlook on most things (it comes with age, I think) and that I will continue to try to get in the exercise as best as I can. I am also competitive, and that will help in trying to keep up (at least not 100,000 points behind) you and Darrell! I am well used to being the one that is trailing behind you two and have claimed that space as my own......

Tim, hang in there. You are doing a marvelous job at "keeping on" and doing what you need to do. May the force be with you.

Marquette and Wisconsin both play tonight in the NCAA. A big hurray for both and the hope that both are victorious.

Good weekend to all.

Claire

#15 Darrell

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,590 posts
  • Interests:Fitness, family and community activities.

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:00 PM

Call me the night owl but it just seems difficult to find time during the day to post here. But I am checking in and keeping up even if I don't have a chance to comment as often as I'd like.

Today was my second day at the 10mg dose of pred and I feel better than I have in a week or two. My O2 sats are holding better, my energy level is where it probably should be and thank goodness I'm recovering my appetite. I was able to work the Lions Club Fruit Sale from 8am until past noon. The allergies were better than I had expected, I was able to lift numerous 50 lb boxes of fruit without hurting my back, however my neck might be trying to make a statement. I did the whole four hours without needing supplemental O2, however it was in my car in the event that I might needed it.When I got home I called my O2 providor and advised him that my 5year old Helios liquid O2 system is leaking and needs serviced and he said they would deliver a replacement tomorrow.

Tim I hope you are getting what you need from the assorted PAs, NPs, and whoever else you are dealing with. But 60 days to see a doc, well if I wasn't getting what I need to feel better from all these other parties I'd sure get word to the doc to let him know that 60 days is not meeting your medical needs.

Claire stay on it and I sure you'll find a way to get your exercise safely.

I'll check in tomorrow.

Darrell

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users