5 replies to this topic

#1 Dee

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:52 AM

Emotional Overload: One Thing You can do Right Now to Soothe Yourself

Intense emotions such as anger, fear and sadness can be crippling in the moment. They can feel like they “take you over.” In a way, they do. This is because if you are so upset that your brain is literally in a “fight-or-flight” mode, there is likely a lot of cortisol (the stress hormone) coursing through your body. When that happens, you may feel irrational, overwhelmed and desperate.

What’s the antidote to cortisol? Oxytocin. Oxytocin is the “feel good” hormone of safety and security. When you’re experiencing a high level of emotional overload, the idea here is to try to trigger the release of oxytocin.

Here’s what you do:

1.Sit down in a quiet place, close your eyes and put your hand over your heart.

2.Take slow deep breaths and conjure up in your mind a person, place or even a pet that represents safety and security.

3.Do this for at least 30 seconds. Notice the feelings in your body.

Research has shown that doing this simple exercise will usually trigger the release of oxytocin in your brain which has a calming effect. It is an excellent way to soothe yourself.

http://lisakiftthera...oothe-yourself/
Posted Image

#2 Darrell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts
  • Interests:Fitness, family and community activities.

Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:35 PM

I can appreciate this as a preventive measure to avoid getting into the overload or fight or flight situation. I have successfully imagined cuddling my dog, for example, while undergoing a MRI scan that was claustrophobic. However once that cortisol is flowing and has taken over, this method is akin to my mind telling my body to "get over it" and my body replies "yeah right I'm outta here". I don't know how to sit down quietly and breathe slowly when my heart is pounding at 160bpm. Is it just me or do others have the same issue?
Darrell

#3 munchee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 05:52 PM

That very simple exercise helped my day go a little easier...thank you Dee

#4 Dee

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:51 AM

I'm so pleased that this simple suggestion made your day a little easier, munchee. Sometimes we just need to redirect our energy for a bit, and we can feel so much better.

Darrell, I don't know if my opinion is worth a whole heck of a lot, but here is my two cents worth.
I am also claustrophobic, and now and again I suffer bouts of panic and anxiety because of my breathing. I think that maybe if you don't already, you should get into the practice of mediation. Controlling panic and anxiety takes a lot of self control, and as you already know, if you give in to these feelings, there is no turning back. The mind is a powerful tool, but we need to train ourselves to make better use of it. Seems to me, it is 'mind over matter', but, as with a lot of things, it does take patience and training to bring yourself to that point. Maybe for some a little counseling will be of benefit as well.

I don't mean to over simplify the severity of these problems, but I feel this might help.
Posted Image

#5 Tim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,813 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:16 AM

When I first read this post, the first thing that came to mind was
"That's how I start my Meditation". It works... and something I need
to get back to doing more often.

Tim

#6 Dee

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 12:20 PM

I kind of miss those daily inspirational videos you would occasionally share, Tim.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users