No replies to this topic

#1 Dee

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,485 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:53 AM

Chest Hurts When I Take a Deep Breath

Why does chest hurts when I take a deep breath? How can I treat it? Read on to find the answers…

Causes of Chest Pain When Breathing Deeply

Heart Disease
If the pain is experienced in the middle of the chest, the reason could be an underlying heart disease. Angina pain occurs when the muscles of the heart do not receive enough oxygen due to narrowing of the arteries.

Pneumonia
Chest pain when breathing, which is limited to one side and is accompanied by symptoms such as fever, shortness of breath, chills, discharge of yellow or green color sputum and coughing, could be caused due to pneumonia.

Chest Injury
If the chest hurts when breathing deep, one of the possible causes could be broken ribs or any other injury to the chest area. A condition known as Costochondritis occurs when there is inflammation of the cartilage which lies between sternum and ribs, causing chest pain when breathing deep.

Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
Another reason why chest hurts when breathing deep could be GERD or acid reflux disease. In this condition, the stomach juices faultily travel from the stomach, upwards towards the mouth. People suffering from this disease often complain, "chest hurts when I take a deep breath". Besides the chest, the pain may be experienced in the breast area too due to acid reflux disease.

Problems in the Lung Lining
If there is swelling in the lining of the lung due to an infection or health conditions like tuberculosis or pneumonia, it can lead to tremendous chest pain when breathing in. Pneumothorax, a condition in which the lining of the lung ruptures and causes it to collapse, can lead to a sharp chest pain when breathing. This condition can be recognized by some other symptoms which accompany chest pain such as increased pulse rate, excessive sweating and short, rapid breaths.

Pulmonary Embolism
Chest pain accompanied by symptoms such as skin paleness, fever, fast breathing and excessive sweating could be due to blood clots in the lungs, which can cause blockages in the arteries. The condition known as pulmonary embolism is another of the possible reasons you should look into while seeking, "chest hurts when I take a deep breath".

Pericarditis
In this condition, a stabbing pain is experienced in the chest area. Pericarditis occurs when the membrane that surrounds the heart becomes inflamed.

Treatments for Chest Pain When Breathing Deeply

As I mentioned before, any kind of chest discomfort or pain should not be taken lightly. Proper diagnoses should be done and once the reasons behind it are identified, treatment should be taken accordingly. For chest discomfort caused by pneumonia, doctors prescribe anti-biotics as this condition occurs due to a bacterial infection. Conditions such as Pneumothorax, in most cases, heal by themselves and hence require no treatment. Muscle injury like Costochondritis is treated by taking muscle relaxants as well as anti-inflammatory drugs.

If GERD is the cause for the chest pain, then the same can be treated at home itself by taking the special GERD diet, which is mainly comprised of fruits and vegetables as these are easy to digest. As for heart disease, a surgery might be recommended by the doctor.

For all those who have been experiencing chest pain and thinking, "chest hurts when I take a deep breath", it is recommended that without wasting any time contemplating, get in touch with a doctor for a thorough examination.

http://www.buzzle.co...eep-breath.html
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users